Pages

Wednesday 15 October 2014

Beautiful Yorkshire, part 2

I am so sorry that I didn't write this post earlier. I started already last week but I just didn't manage to finish it. School holidays started again and we drove the children to my parents and spent some days there because it's been my mother's 65th birthday. But now I will continue with my post about our beautiful trip to Yorkshire.
 
On Saturday we decided to go again to Bolton Abbey. The weather was wonderful and we were eager to take a good walk on this gorgeous ground. What an awesome scenery! What a glorious day! It felt so me walking through the fresh green grass, looking at the ruin, the sheep and the river Wharfe. My heart was filled with happiness that J and I had the chance to spend some precious time together in such a beautiful place.
After a good walk we went back to our car and drove through the wonderful Wharfedale heading north. I wanted to see Wensleydale, especially Bolton Castle. The further we went to the north, the worse the weather got. When we reached Bolton Castle a rough wind was blowing and dark clouds appeared.
 Bolton Castle was built in the 14th century and it was damaged in the English Civil War, but much of it remains. It has never been sold and is still in the ownership of the descendants of the Scrope family. Several movies and television productions have used the castle as a location, including Ivanhoe, Elizabeth and All Creatures Great and Small.
St. Oswald


The solar
Mary, Queen of Scots, was brought to Bolton Castle in July 1568 where she spent six months under custody. During her captivity she and her retinue took over the Solar and the whole of the adjoining rooms and two large bed chambers in the tower directly above. The Solar was a family sitting-room, in which Mary is said to have spent hours gazing out of the window and writing long, desperate letters to people of influence.
This is where Mary is said to have put her glass to heat up her wine.
Mary's bedroom
When we went up to the roof a cold wind was blowing, a flock of crows was screaming and dark clouds were gathering at the gloomy sky. I could imagine how life would have been some hundred years ago in this chilly and rough castle. The hills covered with dark forests where you could find bears and wolves. My overactive and vivacious fantasy bubbled over and I could feel the desperateness and distress Mary may have felt when she was under custody in this castle. 
Up on the roof
Veeeeeeery chilly, indeed!
We went down again, visited the stables, the kitchen and several other work spaces of the castle but soon we wanted to leave this place to find some warmth. We were chilled to the bones. On the one hand I somehow felt sad and emotionally shaken, a very strange feeling, on the other hand I was so impressed and fascinated by this castle. But we definitely needed something uplifting. So we continued our drive through Wensleydale and made a stop in Askrigg. Yes ASKRIGG, the village where the series 'All Creatures Great and Small' was filmed!

When I was a child I just LOVED watching an episode of this series, snuggling on the sofa. I even read the books though I have to admit that I like the TV series much better than the book. Because of this series I wanted to become a veterinary surgeon for many, many years. Childhood dreams ...

We had a look at the house where James Harriot 'lived' and were lucky that there was a nice small tea room right next to it.
I had a strong Yorkshire Tea and a scone with clotted cream and jam. This really lifted up our spirits.
After our break we continued our way. I asked myself if there was any opportunity to buy some Wensleydale wool or yarn. It is quite known here in Germany and I couldn't understand that there was no sign, no shop that offered this wool. But I read that there was a creamery that made Wensleydale cheese and so we headed to Hawes. 
Askrigg
The landscape is soooo beautiful! I didn't do any crochet on our way because I had to look around all the time. I took so many photos on the way, here are just a few.
We reached Hawes shortly before the creamery's closing hour. We just popped in for a quick tasting, bought some cheese and left again. But Hawes is a nice little town worth a visit, as well.
And even here the Tour de France had passed and the cyclists had fighted for the climber's jersey. You could find the 'polka-dot-bikes' just everywhere!

Again, a long post about our travel. But it is my last one, promised. We really enjoyed our short trip on our own (without kids and dog). It is something very special and luxurious for me and I am very thankful that once in a while it is just possible to do something 'couple-like'.

Next time I will tell you about two give-aways I have won. Yes, this is not a typing error, I really won two give-aways the last week! And I will write about my ongoing crochet projects, as well.  

And until then....


Viola

13 comments:

  1. What a wonderful trip Viola! Ivanhoe is one of my favourite historical novel and i like very much Yorkshire landscape!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Yorkshire Dales - just back from a holiday there and going to Yarndale. We visited Askrigg too!! And Bolton Abbey and Hawes and the creamery. Glad you enjoyed it all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Viola, you have taken many beautiful photographs on your travels to Yorkshire, mostly enjoyed in fair weather-it can be bleak over the high ground.
    A wonderful break to re-charge batteries, aided by scones, clotted cream and cheese-perfect.
    Hope the weather is better with you than here in the UK.
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another beautiful travel post. I enjoyed it very much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great place to visit! I know not if one day I will to go here... but I to travel in the future.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Kisses from Catalonia!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such glorious scenery! Who needs to go abroad, holidaying in the UK is fab :)
    Found you blog hopping from lazyhobbyhopper
    Would be great to see you over on emeraldcottage.blogspot.co.uk
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pics! Can I have a piece of the scone? It looks so yummy!

    Take care
    Anne
    http://crochetbetweentwoworlds.blogspot.de

    P.S. Your parcel went into the mail today! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved reading this Viola - we used to go to the Yorkshire Dales on walking holidays a lot some years ago and I've been to Bolton Abbey but not the castle - so atmospheric! I loved seeing your pics and imagining Mary Queen of Scots there - I think sometimes places absorb something of people who have spent a long time there and so I'm not at all surprised you felt the castle had a sadness about it. I think Mary Queen of Scots was imprisoned for a total of nearly twenty years in Bolton and other northern castles. Dreadful. Your final pic made me smile a lot - so true! Have a lovely weekend, Viola! E x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Viola

    A wonderful post. I'm so pleased you enjoyed your trip to North Yorkshire, albeit the weather. You look freezing on the roof, and what better than a cuppa with a fruit scone. If you get the opportunity to visit North Yorkshire again, please go to Fountains Abbey.

    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Viola, Thanks for sharing your beautiful photos with us!
    I miss Yorkshire!!! It is so varied and beautiful, so much stunning scenery!
    Looking forward to reading about your crochet soon! :)
    Have a good week!
    Ingrid xx
    http://myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Viola,

    Just found your blog and was very happy to see Yorkshire as the first post to read. It really is a special place and even though I live in a big town and don't get into the countryside too often, I know I am very lucky to live here. Looking forward to following your crochet adventures, as I am looking for inspiration in learning a new skill (i have been crocheting for about 4 months now and am in love with it).

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved reading this post, and seeing your lovely photos, Viola! It is a long time since I visited Bolton Abbey, but I would like to go there again! So glad you had a lovely trip, and the cream tea sounds so delicious!
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by and leaving a comment. I love receiving your comments and I am totally happy when I see a new one has been added. I read every single one and try to send a reply whenever there is time.