Pages

Tuesday 27 January 2015

New Year beginnings

AGAIN! It's more than a month ago that I wrote my last post.

Why does time fly that fast? Why is there always something that keeps you from doing the things you like? This time it's been my health again. 

I didn't feel good the whole autumn and winter. I couldn't get rid of my cold, I felt exhausted and tired all the time. That's why I asked the doctor to check the blood parameters. Unfortunately the liver function test results were far from good. Two days before Christmas eve I had to go to a hospital in Hamburg for a second, more detailed test. Three weeks later I went there again to undergo a Laparoscopy of the liver (it is an operation with the help of a camera). This operation failed due to several unfortunate and painful circumstances and I have to do it a second time in a couple of week's time. 

I really fear this second operation not knowing if it will succeed this time. And I fear the pain as well, of course. But in the end I hope that everything will turn out good and my private motto for the year 2015 will be: 

THINGS CAN ONLY GET BETTER!

It is an uncomfortable and strange feeling to know that your body is not working well but you just do not know why. And then there are the obligatory questions the doctors ask: "Do you drink alcohol regularly?", "What about nicotine and caffeine?" Okay, I do not smoke, and I only drink green and herbal tea, that's easy, but alcohol? A glass of red wine once in a while, on Friday or Saturday evenings, is this regularly? And is this dose likely to cause liver dysfunction? Impossible, isn't it? Now I try to live a healthy life, no alcohol at all, freshly squeezed fruit juices and green smoothies for breakfast and lunch, lots of fruits and vegetables and only a teeny tiny little bit of chocolate or cake once in a while. How can I possibly live without a sweet treat? 

But knowing that there is something wrong and that I have a good reason to feel exhausted and tired makes life a little easier than before. I allow myself daily rest now and I don't have a guilty conscience anymore when I spend an hour on the sofa crocheting. And I am quite content with the things I finished and started.

I finally finished the poncho for my little girl and best of all she loves it!







 Do you like it? I like it soooo much, it is such a lovely and  colourful piece of handmade craft.

To crochet this poncho I didn't follow a pattern. I just had a picture of it in my mind because I had seen so many lovely projects in the net. But before I tell you more about my own poncho I would like to share a couple more beautiful crochet ponchos that have inspired me ....

The one above is really wonderful, made by Karen of mixture43. I immediately fell in love with her design and I knew that I had to do something similar. 
And this one you can find on Beates beatesbunterblog (it actually is a shawl, but it could have been worked as a poncho, as well). My daughter especially liked the colourful stripes but she decided that she didn't want any grey colour. 

And there is, of course, the poncho of Lucy from attic24. It is a wonderful stripy poncho in a beautiful combination of colours. So much inspiration! I could have started with 3 or 4 different ponchos at once. But then I ordered the yarn first.
Drops Cotton Merino, a yarn that is warm and very gentle on the skin. And best of all the range of colours is wide. 

My daughter chose the following colours: vanilla, bordeaux, pistachio, dark green, turquoise, jeans blue, ice blue, red, powder pink and heather.
 
Look! The sun is shining today! Woolly goodness in the sun, just beautiful!
It's all bright and flamboyant colours, and the poncho really suits my little girl. I am so happy that she's happy!

And the little bird that usually brightens up our locker suddenly wanted to nest on the poncho, as well.


And the sun again, I so much love to see the sun! I will stop this post now and take a walk outside. We had so much rain and fog the last few weeks and only a teeny tiny bit of snow last weekend. Want to see the smallest snowman ever? My daughter wanted to have one but it's been not enough snow to form a proper one.





With these pictures of last Saturday's walk I'll leave you to take the same walk again but in bright sun today!

See you soon, Viola








12 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you haven't been feeling great. I'm sure you would rather not have to undergo another test. Hopefully it will work this time and reveal what is causing your problems. Keep resting though - especially if it means more crochet. Your daughter's poncho is really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great job! Love the color combo:: the poncho is wonderful! I hope that you solve the problem with the liver and feel better as soon as possible! Good luck for your second surgery! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hallo viola,
    ich hoffe das es dir bald wieder besser geht. dein poncho ist ein traum......tolle farben!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    wünsche dir eine schöne woche,
    regina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Viola so sorry you have been unwell and that you have to go back for this laparoscopy a second time. Not nice the first time and awful having to go back a second time worrying that it will be painful. I really feel for you. Your daughter's poncho is absolutely beautiful! Gorgeous colours and your design is stunning! hope you got my thank you letter written in my very stumbling German. I fear I can't even begin to write this evening's comment in German! Anyway I send you a hug and hope all turns out just fine in the end. E x
    Ps wish we had some of your Schnee - so far none in my neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Viola! Glad for your post - I was wondering if you were alright? I'm really sorry to hear that a blood test gave you this bad news but I hope everything will turn out fine for you!

    Your crochet poncho is really lovely, such cheerful colours, your daughter must love it! :)

    Hope you get enough rest!!!
    Ingrid xx
    http://myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful walk, Viola - I love the photo of the mist under the trees, and the clump of snow on a fencepost.

    Your daughter has a very good colour sense - she chose a wonderful combination. The poncho is adorable! You did a wonderful job.

    I'm so sorry to hear you've been ill. I hope the next test will go smoothly and without much pain, and that the doctors can figure out what's wrong. Keep resting every day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your photos are gorgeous. Your poncho is beautiful, you are very talented. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello viola

    It's lovely to hear from you. So sorry to hear you have not been to well, and have to undergo another test, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

    Wonderful, colourful and stunning makes.

    A lovely wal;k with beautiful photos.

    Take care of yourself.

    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I sooooooooooo love your daughter's poncho too! I was just saying that out loud "I soooo love it" and then I read it from you! hehehehe

    I am very sorry to read that you have been so unwell. How unpleasantly awful for you. I trust that the doctor's will have better luck next time in finding out what is going on for you, having got to know you the first time around! It is good that you are finding rest now. In this world where we are fed the message from all sorts of places that we need to be doing, making, working, being productive in a physical sense, it is easy to feel guilty for taking time out, but please don't! These messages seem to drown out the important concept of 'balance' and 'rest' lately. There is nothing wrong with resting. We all need it, some more than others! I am glad that you are able to rest without guilt now that you know the cause of your lethargy and malaise. May you have some answers soon so you can get well again. Take care. Many hugs xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry to hear you have been so unwell! My fingers are crossed the next surgery will go well! Please take good care of yourself!

    The poncho is a beauty! Love the colours and I am sure it is a favorite of your daughter!

    Take care
    Anne (Crochet Between Worlds)

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lovely post, with so much colour and crochet inspiration. Your poncho is beautiful! I am so sorry that you have been unwell and having to endure those medical tests. I hope all will go well for you next time, and that you have plenty of rest and relaxation in the meantime.
    Sending warm wishes. Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry to hear you haven't been well - will be thinking of you and I hope that the second procedure goes better than the first. Keep resting and look after yourself :) I love your daughter's poncho and the lovely pictures of sun and snow take care xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by and leaving a comment. I love receiving your comments and I am totally happy when I see a new one has been added. I read every single one and try to send a reply whenever there is time.