Pages

Wednesday 11 February 2015

A cheer for a warm and cosy poncho!

I finally finished my poncho. The crocheting was done already last week, but I knew that I had to block the edging and I hate to do it. So the poncho was lying around, sadly asking why I didn't wear him (her or it?, I don't know yet). So on Sunday and Monday I felt a flush of determination, took all my T-pins and the iron and started to block one section of the edging after the other. 

And now this is it. Finished while I am in need of it - usually I finish a winter work in summer and the other way round. But this time I am lucky, delighted, successful, glad, cheerful, happy and 

SMILING!

But enough of words:

 The poncho fits my red boots, doesn't it?
Sorry for these bad pictures of me. But I always look like a nerd on pictures. Hopefully not in real life...
 

Some of you asked what my edging would be like as I didn't want the fringes. I thought a lot about this question the last couple of weeks. I had seen how Lucy of attic24 had made her edging and I liked it a lot. So I did almost the same but with some variation. First of all I didn't do the last couple of granny stripes in my main colour. But only because I was so absorbed into crocheting the stripes that I didn't realise that the poncho was already long enough. I had reached row 30 - always alternating colours - and I didn't want to get it any longer. So I kept my edging quite short: 

3 rows of single crochet (sc, in UK: dc), the first in grey purple, the second in deep red, and the third again in deep purple. Then I did two rows of chain loops and the last row I used wave-like stitches as follows: 

Slip stitch into first space to begin. Chain 2, then 1 sc, chain 2, 2 sc in the same chain space. *In the next chain space 1 sc, then again 2 sc, chain 2, 2sc*. I repeated between ** until I got back where I started.
This morning I started cleaning the house, and yes , it was really needed. I wiped the floor and did some washing. And afterwards, as a kind of reward, I bought myself some flowers.
Some white daisies that I planted in a Valentine's crochet jar. Daisies are called 'Tausendschön' in German, I do like this name a lot, it might be translated as "a thousand beauty". They are really beautiful, aren't they?
 Do you see my cleaning bucket in the back? That doesn't look very nice. So here's a picture without it, much better...
and I couldn't resist buying some narcissi, too...

and some tulips...

and a white hyacinth. I will make another hearty cover for this jar, as well. And then the hyacinth will join my 'Tausendschön'. They will get along with each other very nicely. 

Thanks a lot for your nice comments on my last posts. Your warm and encouraging words fill my heart with joy and comfort. And a warm welcome to my new followers, of course. I will have a look at your blogs - as long as you have one - as soon as possible.

This night my younger sister and her boyfriend will visit us for the first time since they are together. She lives more that 400 km away, so I am happy that they finally have found time to come. They will stay until Sunday and I am sure that we will have a super-duper time.

Take care of yourselves, Viola

12 comments:

  1. The poncho is beautiful. You are welcome to share it at my link up today :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Viola!

    Your poncho is amazing!!! I love your colour combination! It is just the right size and suits you well! :)
    Also the edging looks pretty! The crochet pot cover looks nice!! Great idea!
    Lovely plants!
    Have a lovely weekend with your family!!!
    Ingrid xx
    http://myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your finished poncho is as fabulous as it looked as though it was going to be and you look wonderful in it! Love the edging - it's perfect. May copy the idea for the poncho that is waiting to be finished in my crochet basket since the autumn. Oops! I should have finished it off really but haven't got round to it. Your Tausendschön plant is lovely - what a delightful name. A bit like millefiori in Italian, perhaps? Have a super weekend, Viola. E xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your poncho and it looks really well on you. I'm sure it is lovely and warm. I love all your flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love how the poncho turned out! I finishes mine yesterday but I am still in the blocking part...

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    Take care
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Toller Poncho!! Besuch zu bekommen ist schön und es hat den tollen Nebeneffekt von mehr Sauberkeit im Haus :) . Ich greife auch häufig zu Lappen und Eimer wenn.... :)
    LG Jutta

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous- I'm just getting to the edging on mine with a different colour combination too. Would love to know what you think. Karen :O)xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your poncho, and would love it if you'd join my little linky party, which is full of crocheters from around the world, and I do big lovely features, which is great for you! hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. your poncho is really beautiful Viola!!!! Congratulations!!!
    xxxxx Ale

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow... this one looks great as well. Maybe I have to make another one, in more bright colors. Like yours. Love it! Have a nice sunday, Stéphanie (Handwerkjuffie)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Today is the first time I read your blog and I love it! I haven't made a poncho yet, but hopefully will soon. They are so warm and comfortable and your arms aren't stuffed into sleeves! I miss the flower shops in Germany. I lived in Germany for 10 years and wish I could go back. Maybe someday and I will take my daughter with me! I hope you have a good time with your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The poncho is incredibly beautiful, Viola! and looks great with his red boots! a perfect set! I love it! The daffodils are so beautiful .... You wears a denim skirt? also looks great with the colors of the poncho!
    A big hug from Catalonia!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by and leaving a comment. I love receiving your comments and I am totally happy when I see a new one has been added. I read every single one and try to send a reply whenever there is time.